Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia???
An initiative called "Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia" (SABM) was officially launched recently by some concerned citizens. Had a long chat with Haris Ibrahim, one of the core founders of this initiative. Sounded good and relevant to the country. Sounded like a Malaysian project by Raperas. Here is the SABM charter that I lifted off their website. Read it for yourselves - and be the judge and make up your minds.
"Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia Charter
Recognising that our beloved Malaysia is:
* A sovereign and independent member of the global community of nations;
* A polity founded on the principles of a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy;
* A multi-ethnic, multi-faith and multi-cultural society formed on the basis of a shared choice of membership;
* A country built and nurtured by the immeasurable efforts and invaluable contributions of all her people, past and present;
* A nation where her people are inextricably bound by a shared history, heritage, a common interest and destiny;
* A land blessed with rich natural and human resources.
And fully subscribing to the immutable and universal principle that we are all of a single human race and born equal;
We, Anak Bangsa Malaysia, hereby declare that we are first and foremost Malaysians and Malaysia is our Home. We aspire to be the conscience of the nation and therefore pledge to:
1. Nurture the spirit of ‘Unity is Strength’ as enunciated in our Merdeka and Malaysia Day proclamations;
2. Honour and Uphold the Federal Constitution as the Supreme Law of the Land;
3. Defend the constitutional provisions of fundamental liberties and equal rights for all citizens;
4. Respect our fellow citizens irrespective of ethnicity, faith, colour, class or gender;
5. Oppose all forms of prejudice, discrimination, oppression, persecution and injustice;
6. Cherish our multi-cultural heritage and celebrate our rich diversity; and
7. Respect and safeguard our natural and built environment;
We, Anak Bangsa Malaysia, herewith undertake to:
1. Engender a National Mindset to think and act first and foremost as Malaysians;
2. Engage the Hearts and Minds of our people to rise above the social constructs and divisive forces of ethnicity, faith, colour, class or gender;
3. Promote the humanitarian Values of inclusiveness, equality and justice for all;
4. Advance the principles of Good Governance, namely, stewardship, integrity, accountability and transparency;
5. Educate our people to be responsible and caring Global Citizens contributing to peace, prosperity and sustainable development.
We are committed to actualising the spirit and substance of Anak Bangsa Malaysia – "One People, One Nation". Towards this end, we are determined to take this message to the PEOPLE.
25th April 2009".