Followers

Saturday, August 8, 2009

IS everything that is called SHARIA consistent with the QURAN?

The following is a comment by a reader of this blog:

"Salam, Bro Jay. I visit your blog often and like your postings for they are very thought provoking.

But in this case of demonstration, could it be an instance of people pouring out their pent-up feelings? Why do so many people become so gullible and easily swayed by the puppet masters? I think it is because deep down inside they have personal grievances and hence become easy preys.

Let me relate my personal experience....my wife and I signed a BBA (Bai Bitamin Ajal) Sale and Purchase Agreement with Bank Islam Malaysia in 1997. The Bank released partially the second 10% amounting to a net of about RM9,000 to the developer. Immediately after that the project was abandoned by the developer. I lost my personal savings of about RM80,000 in this scam. I offered to pay the bank the RM9K that they had released to the developer, but they turned it down and asked me to continue paying my installments! Bank Islam sued my wife and I for RM505,368.54 in 2005 in the High Court (I repeat for emphasis - the bank only released about RM9K to the developer). I engaged a lawyer to respond on our behalf and in April 2009 they withdrew the case in front of the judge. In the process I incurred a lot of legal costs. Now that they have withdrawn the case, they still haven't cleared our names in the CCRIS record, therefore making it difficult for us to get new loans or where it is approved we have to pay a higher interest rate, since we're deemed as "high risk". I have endured this tyranny for the last 12 years. The latest letter from them is asking us to pay RM22,332 to clear my name in CCRIS or they will sue me again. This is an extreme case of bullying, extortion and in contempt of court ruling (I think). But the SYSTEM allows this to happen and happen it did under the label of "Islam". The real culprit here is the developer, but they got away scott-free. Bank Islam should actually be suing the errant developer and its directors for they are the ones who would probably have a half million ringgit to spare. We are just mere wage earners, working hard to put three children through proper education and provide a semblance of a good life for them.

Now put the demonstrators in this context and you'll understand them better".

Askin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have to share on the above:

AND THIS IS WHAT THE QURAN SAYS:

"Maintain just measure in your business and do not cause loss to others" [Quran 26:181]

"We sent to the people of Midian their brother Shu'ayb who also told his people to worship God their only Lord. He said, "A guidance has come to you from your Lord. Maintain proper measures and weights in trade. Do not cause any deficiency in people's property or destroy the land after it has been reformed. This is for your own good, if you have any faith". [Quran: 7:85]

"And of their taking usury when they were forbidden it, and of their devouring people's wealth by false pretences, We have prepared for those of them who disbelieve a painful doom". [Quran: 4:161]

[My comment: The "Islamic Banks" can call it administrative fee and go through the rigmarole of "buy and sell" but if the transaction is oppressive (eg market price is RM100,000.00 and the the bank resells at RM500,000.00, what do you call this????), then my understanding this is riba/oppression. We are fooling Allah with so-called shariah compliant instruments?]

Peace !

PS: Please verify the translations on your own and I stand to be corrected, of course.

6 comments:

jon pour do care said...

Salam Bro. Jay,

Actually that bank is the same as any other bank. Only difference is that it is done in the arabic language. Since we are on the issue of SHARIA, can you or anybody tell me what is the law on SLANDERING ? I believe slandering is a very serious offense as mentioned in the Quran and since we do have shariah laws on SERIOUS offense like ALCOHOL with 'punitive' type of punishment, so I reckon, Slandering should more 'punitive' ?
Can anybody help me here ?

Khalid said...

Agreed. Whatever instruments that are available in conventional banks are also available in "Islamic Banks". They even have credit cards with Arabic sounding names. All are halal according to their own ulamas.

I really really sympathise with Askin and ?hundreds?thousands others in a similar predicament. The system protects the banks and big businesses in case you are still not aware of it. Certainly the Bank did not show features of "rahman" and " raheem" and does not deserve to use the label Islam. I hope you will be able to solve your problems soon.

Salam

Mac said...

i like this post very much. it says a lot about how religion is abused for profit-making. people seem to have the notion that everything that sounds arabic is Islamic. Whats worse is that a lot of people perceive the arabs as a more superior Muslim, and therefore whatever they do must be the true way of Islam.

jon pour do care said...

Salam Bro. Jay,

I bet you brother, if you introduce a new banking system and you call it 'AL MUDAHGELABAH' ! Sure they say islamic one !

Jahamy said...

jon p0ur do care,

if you check the Quran, one verse on slander says that slandering another is like eating the flesh of your brethren..which is very seriously worded.

"O you who believe! avoid most of suspicion, for surely suspicion in some cases is a sin, and do not spy nor let some of you backbite others. Does one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? But you abhor it; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, surely Allah is Oft-returning (to mercy), Merciful".[49:12]

peace !

jon pour do care said...

Salam Bro. Jay,

Slandering another is like eating the flesh of your brethren !

Hmmmmmm......I wonder whether any of our state shariah laws has anything on this ?