Followers

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Malaysian General Elections 2018 - What can I write?

My thoughts on the Malaysian General Elections 2018

Many of my friends have been prodding me for weeks to write my predictions and views on this election. I ask them back - what difference does it make ? There are already so many experts, non-experts, great former and current leaders who are already saying a lot.  What possibly useful thing can I add to the cart load of noise out there.

The spin doctors on both sides are having a field day - it’s their moment and they only have a few more days to serve their purpose in life. 

Most people would expect me to write either pro Pakatan or pro Barisan narratives. I cannot. Even if write a criticism of Tun Mahathir, I may be accused as being pro Barisan. If I write a criticism of Federal government polices, then I may be accused of being Mahathir man.

It appears that the mentality of elections is that an ordinary Rakyat like me must either be a Mahathir man or a Najib man or an Anwar man. If so, then where is my own self esteem, my maruah as a human being and a thinking citizen?  I cannot bring myself to criticize human beings - only their actions and policies. Knowing that I am not perfect, I know therefore they are not.

And assuming that I do condemn Najib today and then tomorrow Najib and Mahathir kiss and make up just like what Mahathir and Lim Kit Siang are doing now, I am supposed to follow this action too?  I am supposed to forget all the pain that Anwar and his family for example has undergone simply because Mahathir says all is fine now? 

Hence, as a rakyat I am supposed to be the lalang of the politicians ? When they blow left, I have to go left. When they blow right, I have to blow right? Where then is my dignity ?

So what useful thing can I possibly say?

Hence, the only thing I can say is: I hope God gives the wisdom to the Rakyat to judge on the facts, past policies and behaviors of the respective candidates and come to a wise decision not based on anger, hatred, lies or pure sentiments.


Otherwise, the law of nature says: as we sow, so shall we reap.

Happy voting.

Peace !


No comments: